The Clinical Laboratory Technologist performs laboratory analysis on clinical specimens
using established laboratory procedures. Duties include but are not limited to; processing
of specimens, performance of moderate, and highly complex analytical testing,
establishing performing and documenting quality assurance, quality control, equipment
maintenance, and accurately documenting all work performed under the direction of the
Laboratory Medical Director. A Clinical Laboratory Technologist will recognize and
resolve problems using good laboratory practices.
- Effectively communicates via written, verbal, face-to-face, telephone, and computer methods.
- Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to clients and patients
- Maintains CAP/CLIA compliance
- Maintains quality assurance and quality control programs, taking corrective action when necessary
- Follow lab procedures for specimen processing
- Determines specimen acceptability, consulting with supervisor, technologist, or Lab Director as needed taking appropriate action when necessary
- Accurately enters all required information presented on NavDx Test Requisition Form or client specific requisitions into the laboratory information system
- Understands and recognizes laboratory information system alerts and flags and takes the appropriate action
- Recognizes when information presented on requisitions is unclear and ambiguous and knows and follows corrective actions to be taken
- Assists in the drafting of result reports within the scope of the position
- Communicates with staff to ensure highest level quality of work for each specimen received
- Assists technologist team with various lab duties
- Performs moderate, and/or highly complex analytic processes with direct supervision. Interprets problems with specimens which meet the rejection criteria for unacceptable samples. Makes the decision to reject a sample and request recollection to ensure validity of results.
- Operates laboratory instruments and ensures proper functioning of laboratory
- Completes and documents required maintenance activities on equipment, recognizes and elevates potential issues reporting service needs to leadership for resolution.
- Performs quality control procedures as specified and maintains quality control records and documentation necessary to meet the standards of accreditation agencies.
- Understands appropriate specimen collection, handling and transport procedures.
- Prepares specimens for analysis and determines acceptability of samples within guidelines.
- Assists in developing procedures for specimen collection, handling and transport to maintain specimen integrity and viability.
- Validates acceptability of test results by reviewing test parameters.
- Identifies the technical, instrumental and/or physiologic causes of unexpected test results.
- Monitors quality assurance and assists in data collection and preparation of QA indicators.
- Performs internal and external proficiency testing. Handles proficiency testing samples in the same manner as patient samples.
- Maintains clean and orderly work area. Cleans bench surfaces and equipment each shift or after contamination or spill.
- Meets work product output expectations maintaining all section turn-around times.
- Participates in continuing education and staff meetings. Prepares and presents continuing education programs for department personnel as requested.
- Responsible for own professional development.
- Applies step by step thinking, problem solving and critical thinking patterns.
- Contributes to design, research, review and writing of laboratory manuals.
- Remains informed of procedure updates and changes.
- Complies with safety and hazard regulations as outlined in the Clinical Laboratory Safety Manual. Failure to follow safety protocols will result in disciplinary action.
- Understands, maintains and enforces safety guidelines.
- Observes principles of data security and patient confidentiality. Maintains ethical standards in the performance of testing and in interactions with patients, co-workers and other health care professionals.
- Demonstrates adaptability by embracing changes in the laboratory with a positive attitude.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.